Chargers refute Smith/Norv firing
Are general manager A.J. Smith and head coach Norv Turner set to be fired? The Chargers are saying absolutely not ... for now.
The San Diego Tribune's Kevin Acee reported Thursday that Smith and Turner will be let go at season's end, in the wake of yet another disappointing campaign. However, the report was met with a terse denial from team owner Dean Spanos.
"There is only one person in this organization who will make those decisions and that’s me, and I haven’t shared my thoughts with anyone," Spanos said in a statement. "I will make my evaluations at the end of the season. Anything coming out now – from sources or otherwise – is pure speculation.”
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax