Report: UNC coach Williams has surgery
Two people familiar with the situation say that North Carolina coach Roy Williams has had surgery to remove a kidney tumor.
Both people spoke to The Associated Press Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the school has not publicly released any details on Williams. One of the people who spoke to the AP says the severity of the tumor is unknown.
Team spokesman Matt Bowers would only confirm that the 62-year-old Hall of Fame coach had a ''medical procedure'' Wednesday morning.
The news was first reported by WRAL in Raleigh, N.C.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax