Rice 'very surprised' by Moss' claim
Jerry Rice says he's "very surprised" at Randy Moss' claim to be the greatest receiver ever, and that he himself has been “very productive.” But Rice won’t come out and say that he’s the best.
Moss turned some heads Tuesday when he called himself the best wide receiver in NFL history. Rice, however, was diplomatic — sort of — when people instantly started commenting that the title should instead go to Rice. (Michael Irvin, for one, pulled no punches when he joined the debate, saying "It is Jerry Rice, period.")
“I’m very surprised Randy Moss used that in those words, that he’s the greatest,” Rice said on ESPN. “You’d never hear me say I’m the greatest football player to ever play the game. I let my body of work speak for itself, and I think I was able to be very productive on the football field.”
So, that’s how you say you’re the greatest ever without saying you’re the greatest ever. Well played, Mr. Rice.
Looking for more scoops on your favorite New England sports teams? Check out NESN.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax