Wisconsin hires Andersen as coach
MADISON, Wis. (AP)
Gary Andersen is Wisconsin's new football coach.
Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez made the announcement Thursday, and Andersen's official introduction will come Friday morning. The 48-year-old Andersen just completed his fourth and best season at Utah State. The 18th-ranked Aggies finished 11-2 with a bowl victory over Toledo and won the Western Athletic Conference.
Andersen had also drawn interest from California, Colorado and Kentucky last month, but decided to pass on those opportunities and received a contract extension from Utah State. But the offer from Wisconsin, a team his Aggies nearly beat this season, was too tempting.
Andersen replaces Bret Bielema, who left Wisconsin for Arkansas on Dec. 4, three days after the Badgers won the Big Ten title and a school-record third straight trip to the Rose Bowl.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax