Source: Cubs, Villanueva close to deal
The Chicago Cubs, continuing to add depth to their pitching staff, are close to signing free-agent right-hander Carlos Villanueva, according to a major-league source.
Villanueva, 29, spent the past two seasons as a swingman with the Toronto Blue Jays, contributing as both a starter and reliever.
The Cubs' rotation currently consists of Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Travis Wood, Scott Baker and Scott Feldman.
Villanueva went 7-7 with a 4.16 ERA in 38 games last season, 5-7 with a 4.50 ERA in 16 starts. He missed most of August with a strained right forearm.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax