The NBA's all-star Saturday night is adding a team component, with the Eastern and Western Conference competing for $500,000 US in charity.
The conferences will earn points based on the results of the night's four events: the Shooting Stars, the Skills Challenge, the 3-point contest and the slam dunk contest.
The league said Thursday each conference will have a captain, who along with the NBA and sponsor State Farm, will designate the charities his team is playing for. The winning conference gets $350,000 for its charities and the runner-up gets $150,000. The money is being donated by NBA Cares and State Farm.
All-star Saturday night will be held Feb. 16 in Houston.
fox sports exclusives
Former NBA star Dennis Rodman says he is hoping a basketball game he is organising in North Korea could "engage" the American people and US president B... More Former NBA star Dennis Rodman says he is hoping a basketball game he is organising in North Korea could "engage" the American people and US president Barack Obama. Duration: 00:45
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 0:44, Views 168
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax