Self-imposed suspension during the playoffs?
It's all over for the Nashville Predators. Having fallen to the Phoenix Coyotes last night their hopes of hoisting the Stanley Cup this season are dashed. But had they not taken the surprise move to hadicap themselves early in the series, could it have turned out differently? After losing the first two games of their Western Conference semifinal series against the Coyotes, the Preds dealt themselves another blow when they announced that Alexander Radulov (above right) and Andrei Kostitsyn (left) were suspended for Game 3. The two wingers were told they would miss the crucial contest after they violated team rules - reportedly staying out too late in Phoenix enjoying the, er, lovely weather - the night before Game 2. After a win in Game 3, Preds coach Barry Trotz refused to mess with a lineup that brought success and Radulov and Kostitsyn - two late-season additions to the team - were scratched again. The daily will they or won't they play talk quickly became an ongoing distraction to a franchise that was expected to be on the cusp of a championship. The team now has a longer than expected summer to consider what might have been.
* Bing: The Radulov experiment
fox sports exclusives
In the latest episode of 'Kings Weekly', a new installment of 'Coffee with Bob' featuring Jarret Stoll.
Date 10 hrs ago, Duration 0:50, Views 43
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax