The injury-riddled Colorado Avalanche will be without Erik Johnson indefinitely after the defenceman suffered a head injury in a game against Phoenix.
Johnson was hurt on a hit during an overtime loss to the Coyotes on Monday.
The Avs already are missing captain Gabriel Landeskog (head) and defenceman Ryan Wilson (ankle), along with forward Steve Downie, who's out for the season with a torn ACL.
But they're expecting to have forward John Mitchell (flu) and defenceman Matt Hunwick (torso) back when they play at Minnesota on Thursday. Although Matt Duchene skipped practice on Wednesday, coach Joe Sacco said he will be in the lineup.
Given the rash of injuries, Colorado could certainly use the offensive flair of Ryan O'Reilly, who is holding out due to a contract dispute.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax