Chelsea captain John Terry was ruled out of the Club World Cup on Friday because of ongoing injury troubles.
The defender damaged ligaments in his right knee a month ago and doctors fear the long flight to Japan could hinder his recovery.
"The inflammation during the flight will not be the best thing for him, so he will not travel," Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez said. "He wanted to go and to help, but it's better that he stays here.
"We don't know when he will play. We have to wait and see how he reacts."
Chelsea's first game at the Club World Cup is Wednesday's semifinal match against either Ulsan Hyundai or Monterrey in Yokohama.
Chelsea earned its spot at the Club World Cup by winning the European Cup for the first time in May.
But 200 days after winning the Champions League, Chelsea became the first holders to go out in the group stage on Wednesday.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax