ESPN suspends Rob Parker for RG3 comments
NEW YORK, N.Y. - ESPN has handed commentator Rob Parker a 30-day suspension for questioning the "blackness" of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.
The network announced the suspension Thursday, a day after Parker apologized for comments he made during a Dec. 13 episode of "First Take".
Posting to Twitter, Parker said, "I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry. I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care."
Parker, who is black, was discussing Griffin's role as an African-American quarterback when he noted that Griffin has a white fiance and is rumoured to be a Republican.
Among his comments, Parker said, "Is he a brother or a cornball brother?"
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax