Removing a sport from the Olympics is one of the IOC's most delicate and sensitive tasks. After months of evaluation, a decision will come next week — and the century-old competition of modern pentathlon appears the most at risk.
The IOC executive board will meet in Lausanne, Switzerland, and announce Tuesday which of the current 26 sports on the Olympic program will be dropped for the 2020 Games.
The IOC will decide later this year which sport to bring in as a replacement.
The last sports axed from the Olympics were baseball and softball, off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games. Baseball and softball have now combined forces and are among seven sports competing for inclusion in 2020, along with karate, roller sports, squash, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax