The pain of the lockout is starting to be felt at National Hockey League headquarters.
A source told The Canadian Press that league employees have been informed they'll be put on a four-day work week starting Oct. 1.
As a result, those employees will only receive 80 per cent of their salary.
The news was delivered by commissioner Gary Bettman during a staff meeting on Wednesday morning.
Earlier this week, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Canadian Press the league had no immediate plans to lay off staff.
During Wednesday's meeting, employees were told that further cuts and layoffs can't be ruled out in the future.
A number of teams, including the Ottawa Senators and Florida Panthers, have already announced job cuts this week.
The NHL lockout entered its fourth day with no plans for the league and NHL Players' Association to resume formal negotiations. The sides haven't sat down together since Sept. 12.
Against that backdrop, big-name players continue to seek work overseas. On Wednesday, Jason Spezza signed a deal with Rapperswil-Jona in Switzerland while Alex Ovechkin agreed to terms with Moscow Dynamo and Pavel Datsyuk joined CSKA Moscow.
Rick Nash also made his arrival in Switzerland, where he'll play for HC Davos, and told reporters that he believes the lockout could last the entire season — just as it did in 2004-05.