Kessel scores as Leafs beats Jets 3-2
WINNIPEG - Phil Kessel scored his first goal of the season late in the third period to lift the Toronto Maple Leafs over the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 on Thursday night.
Tyler Bozak scored shorthanded and Matt Frattin added a goal for the Leafs (6-5-0), who won their second straight of a three-game road trip. Kessel's goal ended a frustrating drought for the top-line winger who had 37 goals last season.
Zach Redmond and Andrew Ladd scored for the Jets (4-5-1), who have lost four of their last five games.
There was no scoring the first period but the Jets came out fast and hard with four shots on goal before the Leafs had one — no repeat of Tuesday's flat start against the Panthers.
Redmond, from the Jets' AHL farm team, scored his first NHL goal thanks to a 2-on-1 short-handed breakaway initiated by Bryan Little, who fed him a cross-ice pass the rookie fired past James Reimer's glove hand.
Dion Phaneuf was the only Leaf between the two Jets and Toronto's Manitoba-born goaltender.
But three minutes later, a mistake by Jets defenceman Paul Postma handed Bozak a 1-on-1 short-handed shootout with Jets netminder Ondrej Pavelec.
Ladd tipped in a Clitsome slap shot from just inside the blue-line to put the Jets ahead at 3:46 in the third.
Cody Franson fired a shot that Frattin got credit for as the puck glanced off him past a downed Pavelec to tie the game at 14:58.
Kessel popped in Bozak's drop pass less than a minute later after the Jets took a holding penalty.
Pavelec stopped 15 shots while Reimer made 23 saves.
The Jets went 0-for-4 on the power-play.
Notes: The Jets leading scorer this season, defenceman Tobias Enstrom, went into Thursday's game riding a new career point streak and extended it to eight with another assist against the Leafs.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax