Luongo to start in goal against Avalanche
VANCOUVER - Roberto Luongo will start in goal tonight when the Vancouver Canucks host the Colorado Avalanche.
The move is somewhat of a surprise as Luongo started for Vancouver on Tuesday night in Los Angeles. Luongo stopped 26 shots in regulation and overtime before the Canucks fell 3-2 to the Kings in a shootout.
Luongo entered the season as the backup to Cory Schneider, who won the starting job during last season's playoffs. So far, however, head coach Alain Vigneault has split the goaltending duties.
Luongo has appeared in three of Vancouver's six games, including two starts. He relieved Schneider halfway through the Canucks' lopsided season-opening loss to Anaheim, then went the distance in a shootout loss against Edmonton.
Luongo has a 0-0-2 record this season with a 2.21 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.
Schneider is 2-2-0 with a 3.13 GAA, a .897 save percentage. While he has struggled at times, he did make 30 saves in a 4-0 shutout of Anaheim last Friday.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax