McIlroy wins US golf writers' award
HOUSTON - Rory McIlroy is the near unanimous choice as the best male player by the Golf Writers Association of America.
McIlroy received 190 out of the 194 votes cast by GWAA members. Three votes went to FedEx Cup champion Brandt Snedeker, and the other went to Tiger Woods. McIlroy previously won player of the year awards from the PGA Tour, European Tour, PGA of America and British-based Association of Golf Writers.
The GWAA said Wednesday that Stacy Lewis was voted best female player with 79 per cent of the vote, while double major winner Roger Chapman won the senior player award with 60 per cent of the vote.
This is the fourth time in the last five years that the GWAA award has gone to a European player.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax