Nadal beats Delbonis in first singles in 7 months
Spain's Rafael Nadal returns the ball to Argentina's Federico Delbonis during a VTR Open tennis match in Vina del Mar, Chile, Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013. Nadal, whose knee problem has lingered despite on-going therapy, marked his return to the tour with a doubles victory Tuesday alongside Juan Monaco at a little-known clay court tournament in Chile. (AP Photo/Luis Hidalgo)
VINA DEL MAR, Chile - Rafael Nadal defeated Federico Delbonis of Argentina 6-3, 6-2 on Wednesday in the second round of the VTR Open, his first singles match since losing in Wimbledon more than seven months ago.
Nadal won in doubles on Tuesday with partner Juan Monaco, but the singles debut was a bigger test for the Spaniard and his injured left knee, which kept him away from the competitive game since June 28.
The seven-time French Open champion said Tuesday he's tired of answering questions about his knee and must adjust to playing with the pain. Nadal has not had surgery and is undergoing therapy and playing with a bandage. He's acknowledged he's less than 100 per cent, and his coach and uncle Toni Nadal has said doctors expect him to have to play with discomfort.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax