The NHL has suspended Islanders forward Colin McDonald for two games after a boarding incident.
With just over a minute left in the second period of the Islanders' 4-1 win Tuesday in Pittsburgh, McDonald drove Penguins defenceman Ben Lovejoy into the end boards from behind.
McDonald received a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct on the play.
McDonald will forfeit $7,567.56 US in salary. He will miss a home-and-home series against New Jersey and will be eligible to return Tuesday when the Islanders host Pittsburgh.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax