Omar Visintin of Italy won the season-opening men's snowboard cross Friday in Montafon, Austria, for his first-ever World Cup victory.
A former junior world champion, Visintin beat Markus Schainer of Austria, Nick Baumgartner of the United States and Alex Pullin of Australia in the final.
The 23-year-old Italian's best World Cup result so far was sixth in December 2011 at a cross in Telluride, Colo.
Jake Holden of Caledon, Ont., finished 12th, Chris Robanske of Calgary was 14th, Kevin Hill of Vernon, B.C., finished 21st and Robert Fagan of Cranbrook, B.C., was 33rd.
Because of worsening weather conditions, organizers moved the women's cross to Saturday.
A team event had already been scheduled for that day, and organizers had yet to decide on the exact program.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax