One week ahead of his expected return to tennis, Rafael Nadal says his left knee is still causing him pain.
The 26-year-old Spaniard is scheduled to play next week in Chile before heading to tournaments in Brazil and Mexico.
Speaking Wednesday on the island of Mallorca, Nadal says that although his knee is looking better, "sometimes it still hurts ... but I have to start sooner or later."
Nadal says playing at the three Latin American tournaments "will be very useful," adding he is "fine, enthusiastic," after not playing since losing to Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax