Oakland Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was taken to the hospital with a neck injury Sunday after a helmet-to-helmet hit from Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy that was not penalized.
Heyward-Bey was running across the end zone early in the fourth quarter of Oakland's 34-31 victory to catch a pass from Carson Palmer when Mundy launched his body and lowered his helmet into Heyward-Bey's facemask.
Heyward-Bey's neck jerked violently and his head also crashed into the ground as he lost consciousness. The pass was incomplete.
The Oakland Coliseum crowd fell silent. Mundy and players from both sides kneeled in prayer. The home fans also started a derogatory chant at the replacement officials.
Heyward-Bey's eyes were shut for 10 minutes as trainers attended to him as he lay motionless. He was strapped to a table and placed on a cart. As the cart started to leave the field, he raised his right hand to roaring cheers.
The Raiders said Heyward-Bey was in stable condition and will stay in the hospital overnight for observation.
Bush, Revis out with knee injuries
Reggie Bush limped off the field. Darrelle Revis was driven away.
They were both gone with apparent left knee injuries long before a four-hour overtime marathon between the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins ended — but their absences could clearly mean plenty for both clubs going forward.
Bush departed just before halftime. He stayed down after being tackled on a play where the Dolphins were apparently trying to run out the clock but chose not to simply take a knee, giving their best offensive player the ball on a handoff instead. Revis left in the third quarter, falling awkwardly and grabbing at his knee even before he hit the grass, a non-contact injury where he wound up covering his face with gloved hands in obvious pain.
At least the Jets gave their injured star something to celebrate, beating the Dolphins 23-20 on a field goal by Nick Folk with 6:04 left in overtime.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax