Sosa says he and McGwire belong in Hall
CHICAGO - Sammy Sosa says he and fellow steroid-tainted star Mark McGwire belong in the Hall of Fame.
Slammin' Sammy also says the Chicago Cubs should retire his number, and he left open the possibility of running for President of the Dominican Republic during an interview Wednesday on the website Ustream.com.
Asked if he thinks he or McGwire belong in the Hall, Sosa said: "I think so." He also said he won't say anything that will "jeopardize my future" and that time "will determine everything."
Sosa, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were denied entry to the Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility amid suspicions their accomplishments were boosted by performance-enhancing drugs. McGwire, 10th on the career home run list, received 16.9 per cent of the vote on his seventh try, far short of the 75 per cent needed for election.
fox sports exclusives
recently recommended stories
What was the biggest sports story of 2013?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- NHL lockout ends — Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup
- Boston Marathon bombing followed by Boston Strong support and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series at home
- Toronto Maple Leafs' Game 7 collapse against the Boston Bruins
- Saskatchewan Roughriders host and win the 101st Grey Cup
- LeBron James leads the Miami Heat to a second consecutive NBA Championship
- Lights out at Super Bowl XLVII
- Historic winning streaks of the Chicago Blackhawks and Miami Heat
- MLB's steroid investigation and player suspensions
- Aaron Hernandez charged with murder
- Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
- Lance Armstrong admits to doping
- The Manti Te'o hoax